Friday, January 7, 2011

Into the New Year

Last year was a great year for us. Although tiring; I worked alot and did not have much time to put into Caleb and his schooling. He did well though. His teacher was amazing - we were so lucky this year. But next year he will be losing the teacher's aid he has had since kindy. It's quite sad, for me especially. I'm not sure if Caleb understand it yet. It might not hit him till he starts school next year.  The Teacher's Aid is not his as such, but the other special needs child in his class. Caleb has been with this girl since kindy, and they are more like brother and sister! It's quite cute to hear them talking together. It is unusual for children to be in every year of school together, so it's interesting to see them interact.

Caleb won the Book Award for his class for the year!! His teacher was so kind, and I am so proud of him. He was shocked by the award, and extremely proud and happy. The best part, he said, was when the teacher put her arms around him in an embrace. So lovely!
He is also reading alot more, so I need to cultivate that. It's hard for him to find books that he is interested in, but he is great at reading the Wii game instructions and the things on the net that interest him -- lego, garbage trucks. I have discovered that the best way to get a child to read is find material that interests them.

Something on the side; There are hundreds (not exaggerating) of youtube clips of garbage trucks. Every sort and all over the world. I'm flabbergasted! unbelievable. People actually record their local garbage truck picking up their rubbish. And my son goes nuts for these clips. I really think he will be a garbage collector -- he even asked me if he could go and sniff our rubbish bin??!! what on earth?!  this was after I said what goes into rubbish and what happens to it (decay) erh!

Now the holidays are on; 8 (?) weeks off school. It is trying, because I am working. Caleb needs to be occupied and he likes to go out. It is hard for him to play on his own. That is the biggest problem I've found with dyspraxia; his inability to make-believe, roleplay, well just make games up. He is starting to talk to himself -- but he needs to follow an example. He needs me to play with him, so he can learn how to play. He needs to be shown everything, quite literally.

This holiday his doctor said it would be best if he came off the medication for a week. Arh! Frightening really. I had on a couple of occasions given him the tablet later to see how he was -- he was hyper and could not listen, and would just laugh endlessly, and jump on the furniture. He has gone to his father's to stay without medication. So perhaps that will be more successful. He is away for a week... so I miss him. I hope the transition time won't be too painful. I think it's the longest he has been away.

My hope for this year;  Get Organized with Caleb.  Have a focused homework time! Spend more time with him -- playing, and going out. I'm looking forward to that.

0 Reader/s:

Post a Comment