Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When I'm Tired...

... I can't cope very well with my son.

We have just finished two weeks of school holidays. Caleb was with me for the first week, and with his dad for the second week. We haven't done this before, but it worked out well. I threw myself whole-heartedly into the break. I was alittle sad, but like I always say, make the most of the time. The time went so fast I didn't even do everything I wanted to do... what with, putting Caleb's desk together, getting my car serviced, and working... damn. not enough time.

but like I was saying about being tired... Caleb is waking up at 5.30am. sigh. I do not naturally wake up at this time. So what happens, he comes into me in 10 minute intervals, asking me if he can play the Wii, or asking me to look for a toy, or telling me to get up. I yell at him to go back to bed and shut the door - play quietly. yeah right, for all of 10 mins if that. He forgets what I've said, and he lacks any reasoning abilities and so in he trots. And I lay in bed hoping I might go back to sleep, but really I don't go back to sleep; I lay there getting angry and frustrated. How do you get an early riser to sleep in? - seriously

Caleb has to take a toy to bed with him. It's not a normal teddy like most kids. He takes hard plastic toys, and usually with pieces that fall off, eg. lego, ben10 aliens. He has to hold the toy in his sleep. So what usually happens is, he drops the toy in the night - or the thing has lost its head or something like that - and he cries out for me and I have to find the thing for him. It seems crazy, but he won't settle until he's holding the toy again. I'm half asleep feeling around the bed, and sometimes I have to turn the light on and look over the sides of the bed to find the stupid thing.

Also, he's been sleep walking. He comes out while I'm still up and he wonders around, and I don't know what he's doing... and I can't get any sense out of him. I remember sleep walking back then, a very weird experience.

and I get tired. And I hate getting mad and yelling before it's even 7am!
the only solution seems to be, getting up with Caleb. ugh!! but isn't that giving in? he's a demanding little guy and I don't like to give in too much. I don't know. Parenting is hard.

1 Reader/s:

Rebecca said...

Little or no sleep makes everything worse! I'm so sorry about these troubles. Everytime I see your name on the blog list I pray a quick prayer. Praying for you to have a good day. Glad you at least had a break for a bit.

Post a Comment